Monday 8 October 2012

Dirty Mind by Prince - 32 year anniversary of release date


Today, the 8th of October is the 32nd anniversary of the release of 'Dirty Mind' by Prince. This was Prince's third studio album and was recorded between May and June of the same year. I was just six years old in 1980, but got my hands on a copy some eight years later. As a Prince fan and a former music junkie, Dirty Mind is one of my hot favourites. Sex, politics, war and partying are heavy themes on this eight track album.


Looking at the album cover, Prince in his open trench coat with only his underwear underneath and a loosely tied neckerchief, you know your in for a mighty ride: 

Dirty Mind the opening track, refers to lusting after a lover and wanting to lay her down “in my Daddy's car”, When You Were Mine, a heavy guitar track which Prince sings of his love for a former lover who cheated on him with his best friend. Do It All Night, a funky disco(ish) track about lust again, Gotta Broken Heart Again, a beautiful ballad of a lost love.  Uptown is the ultimate party anthem and a song I always play whenever I need a spiritual uplifting. Head is about an affair with a bride-to-be. Back in the 80's, I could only listen to this song if my grandparents were out of the house or via headphones. On Sister, Prince sings about incest and abuse, a real mind opener, graphic, yet guilt-ridden funkiness. The last track, Partyup, is anti-war funk, “fighting war is such a fucking bore”. Give up the fighting and lets all party...and have some damned good sex too.

Prince on Dirty Mind:
“When I first played the Dirty Mind album for him (my father), he said 'You're swearing on the record. Why do you have to do that?' And I said “Because I swear'. The point for me is that you can do anything you want. My goal is to excite and provoke on every level. I like danger. That's what's missing from pop music today.”

The boundaries Prince pushed 32 years ago, some of the biggest selling artists of current times wouldn't have the balls to do. Art of a living genius. If you don't have a copy, go visit Amazon and enjoy the ride.


RELATED ARTICLES

No comments:

Post a Comment