Monday 8 October 2012

Odyssey- If You're Looking For A Way Out


“If You're Looking For A Way Out” RCA Records, is the timeless classic ballad from New York dance group Odyssey. I was only six when this song charted the UK charts in 1980 and I paid it little attention, favouring their more upbeat tracks like "Use It Up, Wear It Out" and "Native New Yorker" but adulthood made me appreciate Lillian Lopez's vocal storytelling much more.

"Oh baby tell me I'm wrong
Just say I'm crazy
It's with you that I belong.
It's never easy when lovers have to part.
Oh come on stop pretending
Tell me what's in you heart.
And if you're looking for a way out
I won't stand here in your way.
But if you're looking for a way out"


The songs narrative tells of a woman sensing something is wrong in her relationship (“...Your kisses taste the same, but its just a sweet disguise...”) and giving her lover the option, the 'green light' to walk away, although she's obviously still deeply in love with him.



Vocalist Lillian Lopez passed away on September 4th 2012 after a battle with cancer.

No comments:

Post a Comment